Sanitary Sewer Lateral Grant Program

Notice of the Sanitary Sewer Lateral Grant Program for the 
Richmond Municipal Sewer District #1

Public Funds Available 

Residents can apply for a grant to assist with lateral repairs. The city will distribute a budgeted amount in grants each fiscal year to help repair or replace private mains or laterals. The grants are for reimbursement of up to 50 percent of the lowest contractor bid/estimate or maximum of $​3,000 each.  The city will continue accepting applications through the year. Primary domicile residents and tax-exempt public service organizations owning property within the Richmond Municipal Sanitary Sewer District can apply. For questions, contact the Water Resource Recovery Department by email or at 510-620-6594.

Application & Guidelines 

The Lateral Grant Application & Guidelines
 are also available at City Hall (450 Civic Center Plaza). The applications must be submitted to the City’s Water Resource Recovery in person. The applications will have a receipt number, and time/date stamp based on the order they are received. 

Applications will be received throughout the year (The grant program operates on a fiscal year cycle).

Important Guidelines  

 Eligibility Requirements:

  • There are three (3) sewer districts (City of Richmond Municipal Sewer District, Stege Wastewater District, and West County Wastewater District) in Richmond.  ONLY properties served by the City of Richmond Municipal Sewer District are eligible to apply for the grant. 
  • Sewer Lateral work must be completed BEFORE applying for the grant. 
  • Only the property owner(s) who paid for the work will be eligible to apply for the grant.
  • Rental properties must be registered with the City of Richmond Rent Program (
  • A mutual homes association acting on behalf of each of its members individually. 
  • A tax-exempt public service organization.

 Submit Copies of Required Documents:

  • Signed Lateral Grant Application. 
  • Three (3) bids/estimates from separate contractors licensed with the State of California.
  • Recent Utility Bill (EBMUD or PG & E) – (Garbage will NOT be accepted).
  • Proof of payment (canceled check, invoice stamped “PAID”, credit card receipt, credit card statement, etc.).
  • Certificate of Compliance (issued by the City once inspections are approved).
  • Grant Deed (property purchase/ownership within the last 6 months).
  • Tax-exempt organizations must submit proof of tax- exempt status.
  • Completed application and copies of the required documents listed above must be submitted in person WITHIN 45 days after the lateral work is completed at the Water Resource Recovery Counter – 450 Civic Center Plaza, 2nd Floor. 
  • Incomplete applications will NOT be accepted.
  • Counter Hours: M-F 8:30am-4pm  (Closed for Lunch 12pm-1pm).

 Award Limits:

  • Grants will NOT EXCEED 50% of the lowest competitive bid for the work or up to a MAXIMUM award of $3,000.
  • If approved, applications will be reimbursed on a first come first serve basis until funds run out. 
  • The city has the right to suspend/terminate the lateral grant program at any time.
  • Applicants can ONLY receive one (1) in a lifetime grant award reimbursement.

 Grant Award Reimbursement:

  • The grant recipient has completed the work necessary to bring the private sewer lateral into compliance with Richmond Municipal Code Chapter 12.17.
  • Reimbursement may take up to 4-6 weeks from the date the completed application is received and approved by the City.