Background Point Molate is located on the San Pablo Peninsula approximately 1.5 miles north of the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge. Beginning in 1942, Point Molate served as a U.S. Navy fuel storage and transfer facility. It closed on September 30, 1995 under the U.S. Department of Defense Base Realignment and Closure Act of 1990. A 45-member Blue Ribbon Advisory Committee developed the Point Molate Reuse Plan (Plan), which was approved by the Richmond City Council acting as the Local Reuse Authority (LRA), in 1997. This Plan serves as the guide for the reuse and development of the site.
Richmond’s Vision for Point Molate
On September 23, 2003, the City of Richmond obtained the deed from the U.S. Navy for 85% of Point Molate. Due to the beautiful location and historical attributes of Point Molate, the City hopes the site can:
Enhance the economic base and long-term economic viability of the City;
Create and attract job and business opportunities;
Improve the City’s regional presence and attractiveness; and
Expand open space and recreational opportunities.
For information on the development and planned activities please see the links to the left.