Bulky & Bagged Item Programs
- NEW! Mattress Drop-off Program
- Single-Family/Duplex Curbside Pick-UP Programs
- Holiday Tree Pick-up Guidelines
New! Free Mattress Drop-off Program for Residents
The City Manager’s Office, Community Development, Environmental and Health Initiatives Division is pleased to announce residents of Richmond, Hercules, Pinole, San Pablo, El Cerrito and unincorporated communities are now eligible to bring three (3) mattresses per month to the West Contra Costa County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility at no cost. Please bring proof of residency.
101 Pittsburg Ave
Richmond, CA 94801
Wednesday - Saturday
9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Closed: Noon - 12:30 PM
- Cut mattresses or box springs
- Excessively wet, damaged, partial or soiled mattresses or mattresses with bed bugs
- Car beds or water beds
- Fold out sofa beds and futons
- Air mattresses, sleeping bags, pillows, mattress toppers or other furniture
Call Republic Services at (510) 231-4200 for additional information. For a fee, businesses can dispose of mattresses at the Golden Bear Transfer Station.
Single-Family/Duplex Curbside Bulky and Bagged Item Pick-Up
Richmond residents can receive two on-call curbside cleanups per calendar year:
1. Bulky Item: Pick-up of up to three (3) eligible items which can include up to five (5) E-waste as one (1) bulky item
2. Bagged Item: Pick-up of up to fifteen (15) 35-gallon bags of non-hazardous residential household trash, or ALL yard wastes only
Please contact Republic Services, (510) 262- 7100, at least one week in advance to reserve your Clean-up day. Collection services are provided by Republic Services at no additional cost. Due to space limitations of our waste collection vehicles, Clean-up day scheduling will be on a first-come, first-serve basis.
1. Bulky Item Service
- Single-family residences and duplexes only.
- Up to 3 household bulky items per clean-up.
- Up to 5 e-waste (electronic waste) items such as computer monitors, microwaves, computers, or similar sized E-waste items can substitute for one bulky item per clean-up.
- A Holiday Tree can be substituted for one bulky item
- Residential household items only.
- Individual items of 200 pounds or less.
- No commercial-sized appliances, household hazardous waste, toxic, explosive, infectious, construction or demolition waste
Regularly accepted bulky items include:
- Appliances such as a washing machine, clothes dryer, dishwasher, stove, refrigerator, freezer, microwaves;
- Mattress & box springs (a matched set of mattress and box springs count as one item);
- Furniture such as a sofa, love seat, large chair, televisions, dining set, desks, dressers, tables or lawn furniture (a dining or lawn furniture set of table and chairs counts as one time);
- Equally sized residential items such as a water heater, barbecue, area rug, office chair, bookshelf, exercise equipment or four tires (four tires count as one item).
2. Bagged Item Service
- Maximum pick-up of 15 bags of all garbage or all green waste.
- Keep the load limited to fifteen 30-35 gallon bags (2 cubic yards total), each under 40 pounds, and strong enough to hold materials.
- Ensure there are no large or bulky items in the load.
- Trash Clean-ups are collected on the customer's regular Solid Waste collection day; All Yard Waste Clean-ups are collected on the regular green waste collection day.
- Compostable paper bags must be used for all Yard Waste Clean-ups (biodegradable bags are not compostable)
Items that will not be accepted for Bagged On-Call Clean-ups:
- Car parts
- Boxed/ bundled debris
- Cement, rocks, dirt
- Household Hazardous Waste
- Metal parts
- Tied boards
- Tree stumps