Healthy Retail Ordinance
Richmond, a city facing food apartheid with only 3 full-service grocers, unhealthy food and beverages are promoted repeatedly throughout stores. Snacks high in salt, saturated fat, and added sugars dominate checkout aisles, which are designed to prompt impulse purchases. Such curated food environments in largely low-income communities of color have been shown to contribute to health issues such as dental cavities, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes.
Over the past two years, HOPS youth advocates assessed the food retail landscape and heard from residents. HOPS youth advocates have presented to the City Council their findings and policy options. City Council has directed staff to draft an ordinance for Healthy Retail.
Richmond can implement Healthy Checkout to promote and support the health of all residents!
City Council Meeting and Attachments
- January 25, 2022 - RECEIVE a report on research conducted by Healthy Options at Points of Sale (HOPS) youth advocates, and DIRECT staff to draft an ordinance to be considered by the Council within 60 days requiring large retail stores to stock healthier checkout items – Councilmember Gayle McLaughlin (510-620-6636).
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is Healthy Retail?
Healthy Retail are strategies and suggestions regarding placement and promotion of healthy foods. Some healthy retail suggestions include
- Fully Stock checkouts with only nutritious snacks
- Foods with
- 5 or less grams of added sugar per serving
- 200 mg or less of sodium per serving
- Beverages with
- No added sugar
- No added sweeteners
- Foods with
- Keeping Soda in the Soda Aisle
- Sugar sweetened beverages in or on the end-cap of one drink aisle only
- No sugar sweeten beverages in freestanding displays
What impact will Healthy Retail have?
Healthy Retail will give access to nutritious food and drinks, provide exposure to a greater variety of produce and healthy snacks, make it easier for kids to make healthier choices, begin to change snacking norms, and help positively influence public health.
- Trident Spearmint Gum
- Ice Breakers Duo Watermelon
- Extra Classic Bubble
- Altoids Peppermint
Fruit and Vegetables
- Whole Fruits and Vegetables
- Dried Chili Mango
- Terra Original Chips
- No Sugar Added Organic Apple Sauce
Nuts, Seeds, and Legumes
- Snak Club Yogurt Trail Mix
- Dry Roasted Pistachios
- Mesquite Barbeque Crunchy Broad Beans
- Vegan White Cheddar Hippeas
- Blue Diamond Whole Natural Almonds
- Apple Cinnamon Crunchy Rice Rollers
- Kracklin' Kamu Brand Ancient Grain - Sea Salt
- Boom Chicka Pop Sea Salt Popcorn
- Smart50 Sea Salt Popcorn
- Kids Organic Whole Grain Bites
Yogurts and Cheese
- Chobani Clingstone Peach Less Sugar Greek Yogurt
- Siggi's Vanilla Skyr
- Tillamook Medium Cheddar
- Sargento String Cheese
- Mint Chip Brownie Larabar
- Kashi Peanut Butter Granola Bar
- Toasted Coconut Almond Granola
- Tart Cherry and Apple Superfood Bites
- Blueberry Vanilla Casher Kind Bar
- Spindrift, Blueberry
- La Colombe Pure Black Cold-Pressed Coffee
- Minute Maid 100% Orange Juice
- Bubly, Strawberry