Can the City install speed humps in our neighborhood?

The set speed limit is based on standards outlined in the California Vehicle Code, which may vary depending on the area. Lowering the speed limit to slow down vehicles is not generally effective, as drivers tend to drive at speeds they feel comfortable with. However, the City does have a Local Road Safety Plan and a Traffic Calming program. Traffic calming refers to a combination of strategies aimed at mitigating the negative impacts of motor vehicle usage, influencing driver behavior, and creating safer conditions for non-motorized street users. It encompasses a range of physical design and other interventions applied to existing roads with the objective of reducing vehicle speeds and enhancing pedestrian and cyclist safety. 

Examples of traffic calming measures include the implementation of vertical deflections like speed humps, speed tables and raised intersections, as well as horizontal shifts and roadway narrowing. These interventions are specifically designed to lower vehicle speeds and improve the overall street environment for non-motorists. It is important to note that the City has adopted a policy not to install speed humps on roads classified as collector streets and major arterials. 

Additionally, certain closures such as median barriers, can be strategically placed to obstruct traffic movements in specific directions, effectively reducing cut-through traffic.

It is important to note that traffic calming measures can be employed at different scales, ranging from individual intersections to entire streets, neighborhoods, or even larger area-wide interventions. Funding is limited, and so traffic calming employed will be based on a priority system. Not all requests or projects will be implemented as a result.

Show All Answers

1. Can we have a STOP sign to control speeding?
2. Can the City install speed humps in our neighborhood?
3. Can we have "SLOW CHILDREN AT PLAY" signs?
4. Why am I waiting at a red light when there is no cross-traffic?
5. Can we have a crosswalk?
6. Can you lower the speed limit so everyone will drive more slowly?
7. I can't see down the street because cars park right next to my driveway. What can be done?
8. Can our street be closed off to divert all this traffic?
9. Can the City install additional street lights in front of my house?
10. Who should I contact about potholes on my street?
11. Who is responsible for repairing the sidewalk in front of my house?
12. How can I get the curb in front of my house painted blue?
13. Who do I contact with questions about my water service?
14. Who do I contact with questions about garbage collection services?
15. Where can I find information about the Sewer Lateral Grant Program (the City’s program designed to help reimburse homeowners for the cost of repairing sewer laterals)?
16. How do I obtain a storm drainage map?
17. What do your monthly maintenance schedules look like?
18. What is the city's policy regarding construction road closures?