Enrollment and Registration
At their meeting on February 21, 2018, the Richmond Rent Board adopted Chapter 4, Registration and Fees, of the City of Richmond Rent Board Regulations, requiring Enrollment and Registration with the Richmond Rent Program.
In order to be in compliance with this Chapter, a Landlord or the Landlord’s representative must:
- Enroll with the Rent Board all Rental Units, except for those that are fully exempted from the provisions of the Richmond Fair Rent, Just Cause For Eviction, and Homeowner Protection Ordinance pursuant to Regulation 201.
- Register with the Rent Board any and all tenancies in Controlled Rental Unit/s.
- Pay to the City of Richmond the Residential Rental Housing Fee, Business License Tax, and any other fees applicable to Rental Units in the City of Richmond. For more information, please visit the Fees page.
If you believe your unit/property is exempt or inapplicable to the Rent Ordinance, please visit our Exempt/Inapplicable Status webpage to access the requisite forms.
Our Property Enrollment and Tenancy Registration Forms all have an Adobe signature box in them to allow you to sign electronically (using a digital Adobe signature). In order to access the signature box, you must download the file and open as a PDF using Adobe.
|Need to Update your Contact information, Property Manager or the Status of your Rental Unit? Please complete the Amended Property Enrollment form below. Note: If this is the first time enrolling your property, please complete the Property Enrollment Form located above.|
|Amended Property Enrollment Form (English) (PDF Fillable Form)|
|Amended Property Enrollment Form (Spanish)(PDF Fillable Form)|
Procedure for Property Enrollment and Tenancy Registration
- Please complete, print, and file the applicable forms above with the Richmond Rent Program using one of the following methods: - In Person: Deliver to the Rent Program, located on the 2nd floor of 440 Civic Center Plaza, Suite 200, Richmond, CA 94804 - By Mail: Mail to the City of Richmond Rent Program located at 440 Civic Center Plaza, Suite 200, Richmond, CA 94804.ATTN: Registration and Billings Unit - By Email: Email your form(s) to the Rent Program at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pay the Residential Rental Housing Fee - Select your name from the “Contractor/Landlord Login.” Your password is the highest APN (parcel) number of all rental properties you own in the City of Richmond (first nine digits, no dashes.) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Accessory Dwelling Units and the Rent Ordinance
The extent to which the Rent Ordinance applies to properties with an Accessory Dwelling Unit depends on a variety of factors, such as the permitted status of the Accessory Dwelling Unit, the number of dwelling units on the property, and the occupancy status of the main house. Click on the image below for more information.
Tenant Education Requirement
Landlords are required to provide tenants with a copy of the Richmond Rent Program Brochure at the commencement of tenancy and with each notice of rent increase (RMC 11.100.060(g)). Download a copy of the brochure here: Richmond Rent Program Brochure.