Regular Library Cards
The Richmond Public Library offers three regular types of library cards:
Regular library cards automatically expire every two years. Library cards can be renewed at the Circulation Desk or by calling 510-620-6559.
Establishing Residency by Postcard
In addition to the forms of address verification listed for each type of card, the Library will offer those unable to provide address verification the opportunity to have a postcard sent from the Library to their address. The postmarked postcard will provide proof of address if brought to a Library branch within 30 days.
Temporary Library Cards
Temporary library cards will be issued upon request to any person not able to provide sufficient proof of residency. Temporary cards:
- expire after three months unless renewed
- may borrow up to five (5) books, magazines, CD audiobooks, or DVDs
- have full access to online resources
- cannot borrow electronic devices or other items from the Library of Things
- can be converted to a regular card when identification and proof of residency is provided
Student Success Initiative Card
Students enrolled in any school or school district which establishes an agreement with the Library will be issued a Student Success Initiative (SSI) card when
- the Library receives notice from the school or district that a parent or guardian has requested an SSI card and has authorized the disclosure of necessary information to the Library
- the district or school submits necessary information to the Library, including
- student name
- school attending
- parent or guardian name
- student family contract information (phone and/or email address)
- SSI cards are issued at the beginning of each school year and expire on September 1 of the following year unless renewed
- An SSI card may be converted to a regular card by visiting a branch of the Richmond Public Library and providing identification and proof of residency as required.
OverDrive Instant Digital Card
If you live in our service area and want to borrow online resources, you can sign up for an Instant Digital Card with OverDrive using your mobile number and borrow OverDrive/Libby titles.