Business Guide and Toolkit
Welcome to the City of Richmond. The City Manager's Office, Economic Development Division is dedicated to navigating your business needs. We are here to assist businesses on many fronts: connecting businesses to resources, relocating existing operations, workforce development, and facilitating business-to-business transactions.
This guide is intended to provide information and help to setting up a business in Richmond.
- 1. Beginning Steps to Consider
- 2. Setting up Business Name
- 3. Set up Taxes
- 4. Apply for Business License
- 5. Workforce and Hiring
- 6. Other Permits & Licenses to Consider
- Questions? Contact Us for Help!
- Create a business plan. Explore and evaluate your business and personal goals. You don't have to do it alone!
- Check-out Richmond's Local Resources List.
- Capital is necessary for all businesses at some point to start up or expand.
- You may be eligible for The City's Revolving Loan Fund: www.ci.richmond.ca.us/2768
- Financing programs also available thru Governor's Office of Business & Economic Development
- It is often best to consult an attorney or tax professional for expert guidance.
Every business needs a name!
Businesses that do not include owner's name and portrays nature of business requires filing a fictitious
business name statement with the Contra Costa County Clerk.
Register with the state and federal government for a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN).
Businesses are required to file both State and federal tax returns.
City of Richmond's Business License
All businesses / persons conducting business in Richmond are required to have a City of Richmond Business License. Learn more and apply at www.ci.richmond.ca.us/66/Business-Licenses
Zoning compliance is required for all, new, commercial business license applications. This is provided by city's Planning Division. Some Business Licenses will have to be approved by the Planning Division.
Cannabis business are Class L for City of Richmond's Business License. Businesses must pay an annual license tax of $50.00 for each $1,000.00 of gross receipts or fractional part thereof.
State of California Forms and Fees
Download forms at the Secretary of State website. Registration costs depend on your business type.
Sole Proprietorship or General Partnerships do not need to register with the state. Registering a business can take up to 4 weeks
If you hire employees, you must register with the State Employment Development Department, within 15 days after hiring.
Check out the City of Richmond, Employment and Training Department for services for employers, training, and other resources.
All commercial cannabis business shall provide maximum feasible opportunities for Richmond residents to apply for jobs through outreach, advertising, and contacts with local job centers. The City encourages "local hires" whenever possible, consistent with General Plan policies and State and federal employment law. Commercial cannabis businesses shall coordinate hiring opportunities with the City's Employment and Training Department.
Certain types of businesses or events may require permits from city, county, or state. Visit the tool www.calgold.ca.gov to find the appropriate permit information for your business!
- City of Richmond Permits and Licenses:
- Fire Department: Fire Safety Permit for hazardous materials
- Police Department - Permits for selling Tobacco and Marijuana
- Water Resource Recovery - Storm water permits
- Planning/Building Division - Permit for improvements or construction to building and knowing your zonings
- Engineering Division - Permit for improvements in a public right-of-way
- County Permits and Licenses:
- CCC Health Services - Licenses and permits for businesses or entity that sells or gives food/beverages to the publics Board of Equalization - Seller's Permit Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control - Alcohol License Child Care State License Contractor State License
- State Permits and Licenses
- Board of Equalization - Seller's Permit
- Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control - Alcohol License
- Child Care State License
- Contractor State License